This rib roast recipe used a simple method of “charring” and then “cooking” the rib roast. The very high temperature at the beginning starts the cooking process, heats the oven to a temperature high enough to cook the roast slowly AND ensures a good charcoal on the outside of the roast.
Ingredients Of Melt-In-Your-Mouth Garlic Herb Prime Rib Roast
- Prepare 1 2-6 Bone Prime Rib Roast (Boned and Tied)
- You need 3 tbsp olive oil
- You need 3-4 clove garlic (Sliced or Minced)
Prime Rib Rub
- It’s 1 tbsp Dried Thyme
- It’s 1 tbsp Dried Rosemary
- You need 1 tbsp Black Pepper
- You need 1 tbsp Onion Powder
- It’s 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- You need 2 tbsp Kosher Salt
Melt-In-Your-Mouth Garlic Herb Prime Rib Roast Instructions
- Take the ribs out of the refrigerator 4 hours before cooking.
- Minutes before the meat is cooked, boned and tied (optional)
- Cut 1/2-inch slits in the top of the roast and place the minced or sliced garlic inside.
- Rub the outside of the roast with good quality olive oil.
- Mix the rosemary, thyme, kosher salt, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder and spread evenly over the roast.
- Let it sit while the oven preheats to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
- Transfer the roast to a roasting pan, bone side down.
- Place the thermometer in the center of the roast and place it in the oven (second rail from the bottom).
- Calculate your initial cooking time by scheduling in 5 minutes per pound of meat (a 9-pound roast would cook 45 minutes while a 6-pound roast would cook 30 minutes).
- This ensures a nice crunch from the outside. The topping will burn, but that’s what creates the deeply flavorful crust.
- After your calculated cooking time is up, turn the oven off but DON’T OPEN THE OVEN DOOR.
- After 2 hours the center of your roast will be 135 degrees F, which is medium-rare.
- If you prefer medium just keep it in the oven until it reaches 150 degrees F.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes.